Venture: Spark Microgrants
Spark Microgrants helps communities in Africa design and launch their own social impact projects.
Expert: Hilary Billings
Brand Strategy Advisor
• Chairman and CMO, RedEnvelope
Spark Microgrants partnered with Rippleworks to develop new messaging for their core brand
Spark Microgrants helps communities in Africa design and launch their own social impact projects. Spark works with local partners to catalyze sustainable collective action and improve livelihoods in communities; their model is based around a community activation process accompanied by a microgrant. Spark currently has partners across Rwanda, Uganda, and Burundi, as well as limited partnerships in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Ghana.
One of Spark’s top priorities going into the project was growing their geographic footprint to cover an additional 1,000 villages and three new countries by 2024. Spark partnered with Rippleworks to better engage donors with a new brand messaging framework.
Spark partnered with Hillary Billings, a global marketing executive with decades of experience leading organizations including RedEnvelope, Starwood hotels, and Pottery Barn. Together they:
• Revised Spark’s brand identity, including purpose, values, mission, and vision
• Defined customer segments and needs; built understanding of successes and failures in Spark’s current messaging
• Created archetypes/cohorts for customer segments
• Created value proposition and key messaging for Spark’s core brand as well as key suctomer segments