Venture: Jaza Energy
Jaza Energy delivers affordable electricity to off-grid communities across sub-saharan Africa.
Expert: Cynan de Leon
• Data Engineering and Analytics, Benchling
• Head of Data and Analytics, Facebook
• Head of Data and Engineering Analytics, Intuit
Jaza partnered with Rippleworks to upgrade its tech stack for data scalability
Jaza Energy provides power at the last mile through their solar Energy Hub distribution model, delivering affordable electricity to off-grid communities across sub-saharan Africa. A single standard Jaza hub provides affordable and reliable access to electricity for up to a hundred households, currently serving more than 4,000 households in 76 communities throughout Tanzania.
Jaza’s top priority was to ensure that the right technology and systems were in place to prepare for scale. Jaza partnered with Rippleworks to upgrade its tech stack, specifically to ensure that Jaza accurately collects, aggregates and analyzes data.
We leap-frogged a painful trial and error process and jumped straight to best practices. Sometimes you don’t have time to learn the hard way.
Our project solved both our short term needs and problems that weren’t even on our radar.
—Jaza Energy CEO Jeff Schnurr
Jaza teamed with Rippleworks Expert Cynan de Leon, who has scaled tech stacks for data growth as the Head of Data & Analytics at top companies such as Facebook, Intuit, and Edmodo. Together, they:
• Tested Jaza’s database to prepare for an increase in volume and new types of data sources from their new hardware and software launch
• Implemented new monitoring systems across tech stack to eliminate points of failure
• Identified the need for a data scientist within the organization and created/defined a candidate profile, job description, and hiring plan
• Created detailed plans for future architecture changes to meet future scaling needs